Saturday, June 26, 2010

This Blogs about Prague but lemme tell you more about berlin.


i've been back in prague for awhile but since i haven't updated in still on my 4 day foray to the massive german capital of berlin. I arrived at 5 am slightly drunk, no reservations no plans no hostel, at the bus stop which was in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of berlin, so i arrived lost. After much effort I eventually navigated the german transit system till i arrived at an amazing if a tad expensive hostel in the bustling and painfully hip district of Mitte. It's one of Berlins 4 interesting and young bustling neighborhoods. The other 3 are Kreuzberg, Freidrichshain, and Prenzlauzer Berg. Each is quite interesting and pretty distinct from the other. Kreuzberg is an old punk neighborhood that still keeps that feel its is a good place for those of alternative lifestyle, its also a turkish neighborhood so its full of awesome food and interesting shop. Freidrichshain is Kruezberg's east berlin counterpart. It's full of squats as is much of berlin actually and there is a bitchin nazi railway station converting to a large party complex with multiple club-bars, a skatepark, cafe, rock climbing wall and god nows what else oh there is also an artificial beach at the bank of the river and its run by cool rasta peoples. Mitte was super upscale hip with expensive as clothe shops and restaurants. Prenzlauzer Berg i didn't really visit.
The walls of this City are encrusted in the most wonderful graffiti and it seems like its much more appreciated there than in most places i've been, I attriubte it to the fact that it sucks alot more in the places i've been, the scale of graffiti in Berlin is on a whole other level. They also have the most ruthlessly efficient and large public transportation system ever, the chicago El hath not shit on this.

Most of my time I was in Berlin in was in kreuzberg and i actually didn't do an extreme amount of partying which is the forte of this city, I mostly flaneured around town soaking up the amazing atmosphere, thought alot and ate a fuck ton of turkish food. One interesting encounter happened one night when I wandered into a bar because i saw that they where screening an interesting looking samurai movie from outside. I decided to go in and watch. Upon entering the movie finished and all 5 people in this quaint german bar stared at me as they all new each other and I was an american stranger. awkwardly I bought a beer and ended up chatting with the barkeeper for a while and then leaving but i thought it was a fun experience.

On my last day in Berlin I was intending on going to the nearby concentration camp as i felt that was a necessary experience, I never made it, on the way I saw a big protest comprised of trucks with loud music blaring, youngens with signs and chanting of the german kind. I ended up following them for a while and chatting with an extremely student protester about world politics. also a fun experience. I do have to go back though and visit a concentration camp I feel it is one of those musts in life.


I don't know what else to say even though i could say a shit load more. I for sure have to return to that city 4 days is not enough time to even scratch the surface.


Student Protest in berlin

FuCKING MASSIVE TRANSIT SYSTEM AHHH!!!! and its so well organized
Translation: camera: I love a streetlamp. other camera:I knew it
When I got to my hostel and looked out the window at Berlin this was the face i made

No comments:

Post a Comment